You NEED To Update NOW!!
Your website theme, plugins and WordPress NEEDS updating and be pretty damn quick.
You have a stunning website created with the best software. Software which requires a theme (template) and plugins to provide dynamic results. WordPress updates about every 2 months or so which needs you to log in to the website and click ‘update’ (be sure that you have a backup of your website first).
In turn your theme needs updating, along with the all important plugins.
Why Sam, Why?
- The internet changes, it’s a constant.
- Hackers are trying to crack websites the world over, to steal screen space and nothing else (unless they get lucky).
- Older versions of WordPress, plugins and themes are like a red rag to a bull.
- You have a stunning bespoke website and you need to protect it.
Before I tell you how to do this properly please read more about how urgent this is on any of the folowing websites. Just so you know that I am not feeding you rotten lettuce smothered in out-of-date mayonnaise.
Step by Step Guide to Updating: if you need your log in details for WordPress or your hosting just let me know.
- Back up your website in your hosting control panel
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard. For example http://yourwebsite.co.uk/wp-admin (unless I changed this when adding security plugins)
- Update WordPress by clicking the ‘update WordPress’ button
- Update your plugins one-by-one, checking your website after each plugin update looking for any disruptions to your website layout.
- If everything is looking tickety-boo, back up your website again.
- Now it is time to update your website theme. Using a FTP client (FileZilla or other), log onto the hosting account with your FTP login details.
- Access your public_html folder followed by the wp-content folder, then your themes folder.
- Download your updated theme and open the .zip folder.
- Double click on your theme folder to access all the files you need to upload via your FTP client.
- Select all files, drag those across to your FTP window and drop them in the correct theme folder.
- You will be alerted that files already exist in the current folder.
- You can now select ‘Overwrite if newer’ and at the bottom of the FTP window (FileZilla) select ‘Always do this’
- Let the upload do its thing…
- Now go back to your website and refresh the page… everything good? Cool.
- Finally, back up your website and get yourself out of there knowing that everything is good until the next update.
Need help? Need your login details?
You know where we are.